Wednesday 18 April 2012

Cupcake Catharsis




cup·cake ca·thar·sis  
 A delicious technique used to relieve emotional tension, especially pity and fear, as after an overwhelming experience, that restores or refreshes the spirit. It involves carefully baking and decorating a single cupcake to the highest level of skill possible for the person and then eating it, savouring all of the flavours and appreciating the work of their hands.
n. pl. ca·thar·ses 




Do you guys remember the movie called 'Bridesmaids'? When that film came out, everyone (and by everyone I mean about four people), came up to me telling me that I had to see it, that it was hilarious and that it totally reminded them of me.





So without knowing any details about it, I went to go see the film for myself. Basically, the main character in the movie played by Kristen Wiig, and the person I remind everyone of, (pictured above right), is sad, single, has a failed cake business and is a bridesmaid at her best friend's wedding. 

I'm not going to lie, I wasn't overly excited by the comparison. 


Does everyone (those four people at least) think that I'm a failure??? This woman is crazy!! Worst of all though, there was this scene which pretty much made me hate the movie. 


That Cupcake Scene.


The scene where she makes a single, elaborate and delicious looking cupcake, and you assume it's for someone or something and then she just eats it. I decided there and then that I hated her. First of all, you can't make batter for just one cupcake. And second of all, how dare her kitchen look so organised throughout the whole process. It was just horrible!!!! 



It annoyed me so much that I vowed I would blog about it to express my disgust. So the other day, I googled the scene and watched it again. 


This time though, I found it quite beautiful. I also noticed that there was left over cupcake batter and that she was actually tidying as she went along (something I have yet to master). But most of all, I admired her for taking the time to make something beautiful for herself. It was cupcake catharsis.





I've pretty much had an awful week. My son has been ill & I've been up with him for 4 consecutive nights including an overnight stay at the hospital (thankfully he's OK now). To make matters even worse, whilst we were at the hospital my car was clamped. Hundreds of pounds that I can ill afford wasted. 

Filled with pity and a new found respect for the Bridesmaid movie, I seized the opportunity to give this cupcake catharsis a go.


It worked and I feel much better. It didn't give me back my money or sleep but it did focus my energies on love, more specifically self-love.



You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection. Buddha


How do you show yourself love?
Peace & Love
xx


ps Everyone deserves a cupcake like this at some point in their lives, it is so deliciously decadent, (and by everyone I mean all people to whom this applies)!
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Oh dear, so sorry to hear about your awful week. Sounds like you got yourself through it beautifully though and the cupcake is gorgeous.

    I have yet to master the art of self love and with three small children it's pretty much impossible, but a massage, a manicure and pedicure is my dream right now lol.

    Hope things are getting a whole lot better for you.

    PS: clampers are the complete pits xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Self love? Self indulgence...every time I get my bottles of polish out. It's not much, but it's my thing.
    Your cupcake looks absolutely divine.
    Honestly, I think I must have some personality defect because I didn't find that movie very funny. If and when it's shown on Sky, I'll watch it with different eyes and remember your post.
    Hugs to you x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this one, how did it slip my radar????????? Next time make two cupcakes to make yourself feel better. One for you and one for me. .... and, at least your weren't compared to Whoopi Goldberg. No offence to her, but I look nothing like her :-/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is so weird that everytime I manage to read your blog (I have the best intentions but usually have my phone in my hand for no longer than 30 seconds bursts!) it applies to me...
    I went to a healer this week and whilst it was amazing one of the biggest things I came away with was how can I love myself more? So far I have found a little mantra that has helped me to take a moment before I make decisions ... "I deeply and completely love and accept myself".... I think it helps me to stop and think about myself before I agree to do x y and z for others whilst pushing aside my own needs.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...