Wednesday 11 January 2012

I'm Going In.... Best Cupcake Ever!




My name is Bailey Ana and I am an insomniac.


It's true, I go for days on end with about 3 hours sleep a night until I become exhausted and think my life is falling apart and then my body goes on strike and I get a decent nights sleep. In fact it's probably  takes about 2 days of being a zombie before I feel like a human being again. 

It used to stress me out, (my insomnia), because obviously I'd be thinking about all the sleep I wasn't getting & how tired I was & the stress cycle would continue. More recently, I've decided to go with it and see it as a time for inspiration. Without exception my inspired ideas and thoughts come at night. In the twilight hours I can plan and think clearly so now I try to go with the flow. Plus me stressing about it doesn't actually help me to sleep so why bother!




One of my dilemmas for last night was what I was going to do with the leftover batch of red velvet cake mixture in my fridge. I love Red Velvet cake as much as the next person but I wanted to do something a little different, something fun and tasty and a little bit exciting but more than anything I didn't want to buy any new ingredients. 


This morning (a first) it came to me. 


Red Velvet cake with mini cake balls (an uncovered cake pop) and a toasted meringue topping.


Big!




I was excited because in theory all of these elements should work well together & I was so right. In fact I would go as far as saying that this is probably one of the best cupcakes I've ever made. They literally melted in my mouth. 


I had all of the ingredients in the house; red velvet cake mixture, cream cheese frosting & some leftover vanilla sponge in the freezer. It was almost a simple task of baking the cupcakes & making the meringue. If you had to make it from scratch it would probably be a much bigger hassle but this is another one to put in the 'definitely worth it' category.


Recipe


Red Velvet cake mixture (get recipe from here)


Cream Cheese Frosting (get recipe from here)


Cake balls (get instructions from here)
Make the cake balls half the size of the ones you would use if you were making a cake pop.


Meringue (see recipe below)



1. Bake your cupcakes and leave to cool. 
2. Make the mini cake balls using approximately 15g of cake mixture per ball.
3. Using a teaspoon cut out a small area from the top of the cupcake for the cake balls to rest on. Do not cut them too far down. Place one ball on each cupcake.
4. Make the meringue using the following recipe. It makes just enough for 12 cupcakes so you will need to make more if you have more cupcakes;

2 egg whites
4oz/110g caster sugar 


Beat the egg whites until stiff, then beat in the sugar a little at a time until stiff and smooth. Use this mixture to fill a piping bag, and pipe over the cupcakes. Brown with a blow torch or under a preheated, hot grill. If you use a grill be careful because they brown very quickly!
5. Eat or serve to happy people!





I'm pleased with myself for getting inspiration in the daytime and I'm hoping this may lead my brain to shut down a bit at night so I can actually sleep! A girl can dream :)


Peace & Love
xx

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. I've said it before and I'll say it again - your photos are beautiful and make me wish I could sample your baking :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2012, still one of my favorites!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! This looks like an insanely good blend of treats :D And I'm glad you are not closed off to love after marriage. It was definitely scary, & I definitely didn't expect it. I felt like love was complete bullshit & I'm still pretty cynical when it comes to other people getting married, but I'm getting there!

    These things just take you by surprise sometimes. What I have learnt though, is clearly things happen for a reason. Though I thought I was 100% in love with my ex-husband & trying to start a family & could never see myself with anyone else, in hindsight I realise what I have now is so much better. So much more trust, so much more fun, & I feel like I never have to hold myself back. I can't even remember life without my boyfriend, so it was worth all the pain.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...