Saturday 16 April 2011

A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand


I am determined to try and make some beautiful biscuits like the Biscuiteers. I bought the book a while ago but have only just gotten around to trying to make some...








I had some leftover cookie dough (as you do), it was a sunny day & I was feeling down so there was only one thing for it; try and make some iced biscuits. I want to practise my Royal Icing skills and cookies are a great place to start, but first things first; make some biccies. I actually have 567 cookie cutters (or thereabouts) stockpiled so I really need to make some cookies already.



5 of my 567 cookie cutters as assembled by my helper.

I used the recipes from the Biscuiteers book - Plain & Super Chocolatey. The recipes use Golden Syrup which is pretty exciting.



Free range eggs of course...








Once you have the cookie dough made up you need to let it cool in the fridge for at least 30 mins. If you don't, it is too sticky and you can't cut shapes out of it. It's probably better to leave it for as long as you can, maybe overnight, as the colder the dough is the easier it is to cut shapes. Oh and don't forget to pre-heat the oven, 'Lady Ga-Ga' here is keeping an eye on it for me....




The book recommends that you roll out the dough between two sheets of greaseproof paper, I have made cookies before and haven't seen that technique but it actually makes sense. I used two chopping boards as spacers so that I got an even depth.


Once you've rolled it, it's time to cut out the shapes. I wanted to do some plain shapes like squares or circles but got bamboozled into using the musical cutters by my son :)

Look how the light captures the chocolate cookie dough, mmm tasty.



Making my own biscuits gave me an idea about having a variation on the Oreo Cookie cupcake... watch this space.
The Albino cousin


Once you have cut the shapes get them in the oven. The recipe says 14-18 mins at a temperature of 170oC but I left mine in for about 25mins. You just have to keep an eye on them and go with your oven.



There you go, the hot naked biscuit. For my next blog, I will try and ice them.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...